Here are some classic, simple and amazing cocktail recipes to make at home for you and girlfriends before your festivities begin. Simple ideas like making your own drinks or even drinking before your big night out saves students like myself ALOT of money. Have you seen the prices of drinks these days at bars and clubs!! Unless you look like Beyonce and can find a man with full pockets to pay for all of your drinks they cost people like myself an arm and maybe even a leg…especially those delicious ones).
Here are my favourite, classic cocktail recipes I have sourced over the past few months to blend up a storm for my girlfriends and I.
– 10 fresh mint leaves
– 1/2 lime, cut into 4 wedges
– 2 tablespoons white sugar, or to taste
– 1 cup ice cubes
– 1 1/2 fluid ounces white rum
Place mint leaves and 1 lime wedge into a sturdy glass. Use a muddler to crush the mint and lime to release the mint oils and lime juice. Add 2 more lime wedges and the sugar, and muddle again to release the lime juice. Do not strain the mixture. Fill the glass almost to the top with ice. Pour the rum over the ice, and fill the glass with carbonated water. Stir, taste, and add more sugar if desired. Garnish with the remaining lime wedge.
– 5 or so ripe strawberries
– 10ml freshly squeezed lime juice
– 50ml of white rum
– Sugar syrup to taste
You can make this in a shaker but it’s best done in a blender. Whiz it up with four ice cubes, pour into a chilled margarita glass and garnish with a strawberry.
– 500ml (2 cups) chilled pineapple juice
– 125ml (1/2 cup) white rum
– 125ml (1/2 cup) coconut cream
– 1 cup crushed ice
– Crushed ice, extra, to serve
Place pineapple juice, rum, coconut cream, palm sugar and ice in the jug of a blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a serving jug and serve immediately over crushed ice.
Apple, orange and ginger punch
– 2 cups apple juice, chilled
– 1 1/2 cups orange juice, chilled
– 2 cups dry ginger ale, chilled
– 3 cups lemonade, chilled
– 2/3 cup vodka
– 125g strawberries, hulled, diced
– Ice cubes, to serve
Combine apple juice, orange juice, dry ginger ale and lemonade in a large jug.
Add vodka, strawberries and ice. Serve.
Fruity summer cooler
– 8 strawberries, plus extra sliced strawberries to serve
– 1/2 cup (125ml) sweet red vermouth (see note)
– 1/2 cup (125ml) gin
– 1/3 cup (80ml) Cointreau or other orange liqueur
– 1 orange, thinly sliced
– 1/2 Lebanese cucumber, sliced
– Handful of mint leaves
– 700ml lemonade, chilled
Whiz the strawberries in a blender to a puree. Strain the strawberry puree through a sieve, pressing down with the back of a spoon to extract as much juice as possible, then return to the blender with the vermouth, gin and liqueur, and pulse to combine.
Fill a large jug with plenty of ice, then add orange slices, cucumber, mint and extra strawberries. Pour in the gin mixture, then top up with lemonade. Serve in chilled glasses.